Sonic the Hedgehog Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fansite dedicated to all games Sonic has been in.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My Review for Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1(Wii)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MightytheArmadillo
Admin
Admin
MightytheArmadillo

My Review for Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1(Wii) Empty
PostSubject: My Review for Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1(Wii)   My Review for Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1(Wii) EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1(Wii) Review

If you're a longtime Sonic fan, you know how great the classic games for the Mega Drive/Genesis were. We've had our share of 2D Sonics since then, but they're all portable. Finally, after 16 long years, Project Needlemouse was announced. After lots of fans rejoicing at the fact that Sonic was coming back in 2D on a console, SEGA announces the true name of the game: Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Sonic goes back to his classic 2D roots, and is off to stop Dr. Robotnik's plans once again! Packed with 4 Zones as well as 1 Final Zone, you also have Special Stages where, once you get all 7 Chaos Emeralds, you can transform into Super Sonic in regular zones just like the classics!

Gameplay: 9/10

This is one thing that quite a number of fans were worried about, given how Sonic doesn't play exactly like he did in the classics, most noticeably the uncurl, which is when you roll of a hill in ball form you uncurl into the air, leaving you exposed to any traps/enemies below you. Thankfully, there isn't really anything to worry about when uncurled, and the reason it exists is to help perform the new move added, the Homing Attack. Usually Sonic's move to use in 3D games, it actually works quite well in a 2D game. If you're really worried about the gameplay, I suggest at least trying the game out. Either by playing on someone else's Wii that has it, or download the demo on the 360/PS3 versions. Trust me, its a whole different experience playing than watching. You'll have plenty of fun playing as Super Sonic as well.

Zones: 10/10

Part remake part new, you'll see familiar levels from the classics, but that was the intention all along for Episode 1. This Episode is supposed to take you back to the days you first play Sonic the Hedgehog. From what I've experienced, it sure does for me. The level layouts are really cool, and there's plenty of speed and platforming. Each Act in a Zone is very different too. They add some new gimmicks and things you can do.

Music/Sound: 10/10

Everyone who's a Sonic fan knows one thing for sure: The music is always one of the greatest parts of a Sonic game. What's really cool about this game is that a composer from back in the classic days, Jun Senoue, is back, and his performances in Sonic 4 are excellent. I am very impressed at how great the music is in this game, especially Mad Gear Zone Act 1. As for the Sound Effects, most of the effects are classic ones, with a few modern ones as well.

Graphics: 8/10

Very pretty looking for a WiiWare game. Classic looking and modern at the same time.

Controls: 7/10

This game controls just like the classics. Move with the D-Pad and use the jump buttons to jump. Sadly only the Wiimote can be used, so for those of you with that Retro Adapter where you can use the Genesis Controller, won't be able to. But the Wiimote controls well enough that it isn't that big of a deal. The only thing where motion comes into play is in the Special Stages, but you can choose whether to use motion or the D-Pad in the Options Menu.

Price: 6/10

Priced at 1500 Wii Points($15), it may seem really steep at first, but given all that you can do in this game, plus the replayability, the price is worth it. Besides, if you're buying a Wii Points Card, you're paying for 2000 Wii Points($20)anyways regardless of the price, so its not that big of a deal, really.

Overall Score: 9/10

Its worth the buy if you love 2D Side-Scrolling Sonic games. Give this game a shot and who knows, you might love it as much as I have.
Back to top Go down
https://sonicspeed.forumotion.com

My Review for Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1(Wii)
Page 1 of 1